Politics that Govern Ethics Applications

This video is licensed under CC,…

Transcript

We are guided, TRU is guided by for the human ethics side of things, it’s called the Tri-Council Policy Statement on Ethical conduct for research involving human beings. Big and lengthy title Tri-Council Policy Statement So it gets shortened to be the TCPS 2 which version 2 is under all the underlying principles. And there’s a great website on, on that. It would be a good idea to link get that TCPS two website and put a link onto the current site for that, for students to look at the guideline. It’s a book broken up into appropriate chapters in informative chapters. There’s also a tutorial that you can go through, takes about two hours. Good thing for undergraduate students to do. I know a lot of faculty members will ask their students to go through and do that that tutorial online takes about a couple of hours, but it goes through all kinds of situations and, and how you might deal with them and things that you need to think of But the guideline, it’s just a policy statement. It’s a guideline. It’s not absolute rules on how to conduct research. It’s a guideline. It just sort of states the principles that you need to consider when you’re doing research, like I talked about respect and you have to think about anonymity. Confidentiality, like How will you keep your people, Will you keep your people anonymous? Maybe not, maybe you will, maybe you won’t. But as long as your participant knows that, that’s great. Will you keep the information confidential if you’re doing just a survey with no names it would be confidential, how will you be sharing that information back? Things like that And so the biggest thing is your consent form, your free and informed consent, is probably the biggest monumental milestone of your research that you tell your participant in an information sheet and consent from all of this stuff, you have to cover off many, many things about confidentiality, what you want, what are you going to do with that information? Once it’s done and you’ve written your paper and it’s, you know, it’s been sent in and all that. What are you gonna do with those 400 surveys that you’ve collected? Are you going to shred them? Are you going to keep them? Are you going to scan them and keep them hidden with confidential passwords? You know, there’s rules about how you do these things. And it’s all in the TCPS 2 all these little things that you need to think about. But free and informed consent, I think is probably the biggest milestone that you should be thinking about when you approach a participant. And that you need to cover off and tell them all these things. And once they know that, once your participant understands what is happening, thoroughly, what is happening in your research project, and who you are and what you’re doing. And they consent. Then off you go, because we are human beings with free will and free and, informed consent is sort of the cornerstone of an ethics application in that if you’ve told your participants what you’re doing, they consent to help you. Then your, you know, your research is condoned and off you go to do it, to do great research because your participants understand what you’re doing. They’re going to help you. So it’s not scary thing. it’s all the things that you would want to know and you would want to give consent. If you, as a participant were approached by a student and you were a social worker, you’d want to know all these things. And once you knew that you’d be you’d sign off and say, Sure, I’m absolutely happy to help you. So that’s really all it is. So it’s not a scary thing. It’s not. I know you see all kinds of charts and graphs and all this kinda stuff. And if this then that and if that than this. And there is a lot of that that happens. I mean, I know there’s a flowchart that is literally the if this then that if this is this you should you go here and if doesn’t happen, then yes, you do need it. And if you say yes to this question, then you go now here. No, you don’t need it. I know there’s that interactive graph, but really, it’s not a scary thing , but if you just think about it in those terms, I don’t think anyone is and you’d never get applications are never denied. I think that students are worried about rejection. I’m going to send this in and they’re going to go, no, you can’t do that. That’s not what an REB is all about